On average, Mexicans consume 19.7 kilos of bananas per year. This fruit is essential in the diet given its low price, pleasant taste, availability throughout the year and its nutritional value. Even its peel, which is edible, is full of nutrients and benefits for your health.
The nutritional value of banana peels is high. It provides potassium, iron, vitamin B6, C, K. They are also rich in antioxidants, manganese, fiber, biotin and copper, according to information from the National Institute of Forestry, Agricultural and Livestock Research of Mexico.
1. In the kitchen: A banana peel is used to make a flour used to prepare cakes and various other dishes, the food is made from the rind of the dwarf or green banana, and the one made with the rind of green flour also contributes numerous health benefits including improved bowel function and weight loss aid.
2. For warts: One of the home remedies to eliminate unsightly warts is with the banana peel. The best ones are green or slightly yellow / green. Moisture softens the wart, allowing its enzymes to kill viruses; all you have to do is cover the wart with a piece of the peel, when it dries, replace the banana skin. Repeat the process as many times as necessary.
3. Itching, redness and sores on the skin: Placing banana peels on the irritated area helps reduce itching, softens and hydrates the skin and brings immediate relief. They also help speed up wound healing, which has regenerative properties.
4. Teeth whitening: Rub the banana peel on your teeth for a few minutes and then rinse.
5. Strengthen your bones: According to an article published in the Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, both the pulp and the peel of bananas contain abundant fructooligosaccharides. These carbohydrates stimulate the production of probiotics and improve the body’s ability to absorb calcium.
6. Cracks in the feet: Every day rub your feet with banana peels.
7. Headache: It is said that to relieve headache you have to cover your neck and forehead with banana peels.
8. Acne: You will be able to improve acne if you rub your face with banana peels.
9. Polishing: Banana peels on cookware help restore shine and give utensils a new face.
10. Plants: These peels recover the quality of the soil, making the plants grow healthier and more beautiful.
In addition, it is said that the banana peel is rich in beta-carotene (which gives it the yellow color), an essential nutrient for the formation of vitamin A that the body needs for eye health. It also works as a protector of the retina, as proven by research led by the Islamic University Of Sultan Agung School of Medicine in Indonesia.